Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Design Challenge: Space09

Design challenges are a driving force behind the Atmosphir community. They give us a challenge that we must fulfill, and they keep our imaginations running by forcing us to develop various levels to meet certain standards. Each design challenge has a different objective in mind. For example, Tutorial09 was a challenge to design a level that would teach new players how to play Atmosphir. The most recent design challenge was Mini09, which directed us to design a level that can be beaten in less than two minutes.

Mini09 was my first actual competition. When I first joined, Expert09 was in progress. Since I was a newbie to Atmosphir at that point, my level was pretty bad and received poor reviews. In addition to that, nobody knew who I was. I didn’t have a name for myself, and nobody cared if I won or not. To be honest, it was pretty discouraging. But once I started figuring out how things worked in Atmosphir, it became easier and easier to design new levels. When I entered my Mini09 level, it flew to the top of the charts in almost no time.

Today, the next Design Challenge was announced. This time, the theme is Space, for Space09. As the name implies, we are supposed to create a space-themed level… without a space-themed pack. This could get very interesting. Already there have been some impressive levels modeling a planet’s surface, flying spaceships, and everything else. Space09 will definitely be a design challenge to remember.

So what are some ideas for Space09 without a Space Pack? Dave left a few suggestions in the official thread. A big thing would be low gravity. While we can’t actually alter gravity, we can give players the ability to jump high, as if they were in space with very little gravity. Moving platforms were also recommended. Really, this is more of a futuristic challenge. It really will be interesting to see what the community can come up with.

As a side note, Dave entered the live chat today. I wasn't there to witness it, but apparently he mentioned "lasers" as a hint about some new features. What could it mean?

Best of luck to you all, and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment