Monday, August 3, 2009

Level Spotlight: Fortress by Munchy365

A popular level can be determined by a few things. First is play count. Every time someone plays a level, its play count goes up by one. Second would be stars. The higher the star rating (on a scale of one to five, five being the highest), the more people liked it. A third factor, while not easily determined, would be the community’s reaction. Sometimes levels become the topic of everyone’s conversation, and you find yourself asking other players if they’ve played a certain level.

Recently a level was released that left everyone talking about it. I haven’t seen a negative review for it, and (at the time of writing) it sits at a 4.85 rating, which is very high for a level. I’ve seen many people recommend it for level of the day. In fact, when I won level of the day, one user asked how my level beat out this level. I took no offence to that, because I agreed. Of course, the creator came in and tried to explain.

A sequel to another famous level created by this user, this week’s Level Spotlight goes to Fortress by Munchy365!

Fortress is a sequel to Shrine, a level which I haven’t, as of yet, played. When news of Fortress was first released however, everyone seemed to be excited. With my curiosity getting the better of me, I took a look at it. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but if I was expecting tall, stone buildings, I would have been correct. Fortress is composed of many towers, connected by bridges and filled with challenges. The finish flag is located near the top. At the time of writing, I haven’t completed the level. When I explained to Munchy where I ended last time, he laughed and informed me that I was incredibly close to the finish. Way to go, Colin.

Dave (OkaySamurai) also took an interest to Fortress. In the latest Jumpstart, if you paid attention, a screenshot was shown of it, running under the new engine. If you thought the level had amazing design before, seeing this will blow you away. With beautiful shadows and mysterious fog, Fortress will blossom when the new engine is released, hopefully in the near future.

Be sure to take a break and take a look at Fortress in the near future. With the recent popularity, you might even see it win Level of the Day. Congratulations again, Munchy!

For the official Fortress Thread, click here: http://www.atmosphir.com/forum/index.php?topic=2251.0

To see Fortress in the new engine, click here: http://www.atmosphir.com/forum/index.php?topic=6978.0

No comments:

Post a Comment