Monday, August 10, 2009

Level Spotlight: The Chronicles of Aylas - Journey through the Canyon by Sebi94

With the rating system the way it is lately, it can be pretty hard to find a decent level. If you want to find a good level, you have three options. First, dig through the play browser until you find one. Second, hear about it on the forums and look it up. The final option is hearing about it directly, like a private recommendation.

As many of you probably know, I’ve become a regular user on #Atmosphir, the live chat. While there, I’ve had the pleasure to meet some great people. Yesterday, I met someone new. Sebi94 wandered into the chat around noon, my time. Before then, I had never met him. Everyone else seemed to know him, though. We chatted a bit, and he seemed like a nice enough guy. He then asked me to try out his new level.

At first, I wasn’t sure what to think. Being who I am however, I promised to give it a try. I was in the mood to play some levels now that I did not have an Atlympics deadline to meet. I searched for his level, and that’s where my adventure started.

You already know who the creator of this level is, but you don’t know the name. I’m about to change that. In my opinion, there are few levels which are rather easy, yet still have the feeling of a level that took hours. Most simple levels are exactly that: simple. Sebi’s level is so much more than an easy level which only took a few minutes to make. It’s a sort of adventure with the jump power-up.

This week, the Atmosphirian Level Spotlight goes to Sebi94’s “The Chronicles of Aylas – Journey through the Canyon.”

I can easily admit now that I was skeptical when Sebi asked me to try it out. I can also easily admit that I shouldn’t make assumptions when I’ve just me the person. Journey through the Canyon was an amazing level to play. The first thing that caught my eye was the landscape and scenery. Unlike many levels, multiple tiles were used to create the level, giving a wide variety of color to the overall scene. The concept of the level is a simple one. You begin in the bottom of a valley in the mountains, and must travel over a ridge and into a cave. The catch is that you begin with very little jump power. As you progress up the mountainside, you find jump power-ups, each of which opens up another path and allow you to climb higher. Once you’ve cleared the first wall, your jump power is taken away from you. Once you proceed farther, avoiding various hazards around the area, you reach a small cave. Inside is a door, which you will open. A little more walking and the level is done.

As I said, this level is very simple. While jumping can sometimes be challenging, there is very little in the level that will actually “kill” you. If you fall, you simply climb back up. When you have such a simple design, it’s generally harder to develop things to go with it. Sebi did a great job of creating an environment that fits the situation perfectly. You truly feel as if you’re in a realistically designed area.

Be sure to take a few minutes to take a look at The Chronicles of Aylas – Journey through the Canyon. It will be well worth your time. Beyond that, there’s not much else I can say.

That’s all for today, Atmosphirians!

No comments:

Post a Comment