Friday, July 24, 2009

Live Chat With the Atmosphir Community

If you’ve read The Atmosphirian, you will know that for the past few nights I have been on vacation. I was lucky enough to have a wifi connection, but the technology my computer had made it very difficult to play Atmosphir. Therefore, I was stuck with using the forums as my only source of Atmosphir-related entertainment. For the first few nights, I stayed up, many hours into the night, posting on the forums. It was not until my last night that I stumbled upon the live chat for Atmosphir.

Many of the regular players have entered the chat. Wednesday night was my first time connecting. Not expecting much, I entered under my usual name, Colinnn. Considering it was close to 9:00 Central time, I wasn’t expecting much company. Much to my surprise, there were some players talking. They greeted me warmly, and we started talking about all sort of things.

As the night went on, only a small group of us were left: Bigdrip681, Munchybot, Kaiserg, and I. Before trying out this chat, I never had much contact with these three. I was most familiar with Kaiserg, who has always been a supporter of The Atmosphirian. Aside from that, my connection with them was minimal. That night, however, we all talked like old friends. It was a great chance to talk to them, and I learned many things. Topics ranged from thetan levels to stories of former players. I passed around seven hours overall in the chat that night, and I feel that I am better friends with those three because of it. By their request, here’s a screenshot from the chat:

My conclusion is that I’m cool. So are they.

Probably my favorite part of the chat was Atmobot. As the name implies, Atmobot is not a real person but a computer. Part of its coding gives it the power to interact with the users. For example, if your message includes “hax” in any part of it, Atmobot will yell “HAAAX!!!” and send you a video containing a clip from The Gmod Idiot Box (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0OZXnkfJB0&feature=related). If you type someone’s name, Atmobot will inform them that they are being summoned. The most important feature of Atmobot, however, is to update the statistics for the chat.

The statistics, as the name implies, records information about what is said in the chat. It marks what day, what time, and by whom a post was made. It then organizes this information into a list of facts. This information is divided into various sections:

Daily Activity. Essentially a chart showing how much we have talked over a certain amount of time.

When do we talk? This is a chart that is stretched over 24 hours, and changes according to when we talk.

100 Most talkative users. This is probably the most important part of the statistics. The top 100 posters are listed here, along with when they talk, how much they talk, as well as a random quote by the user.

They just didn’t make it to the top 100. Basically the next 102 on the top posters list. These runner-ups only have their name and number of posts listed.

Time of Day Stats. This divides the day into four 6-hour periods. The top posters from each section are then listed.

Long Term Statistics. Time periods of two weeks are compared to each other in terms of post count.

In my opinion, the live chat is an amazing addition to the Atmosphir community. It provides a closer connection to one another, much like instant messaging. If you haven’t already visited the live chat, be sure to add it to your list!

Information for the chat can be found here: http://www.atmosphir.com/forum/index.php?topic=1509.0

Statistics for the chat can be found here: http://www.landorindustries.com/atmosphir/atmosphir.wyldryde.html

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, you list thetan levels as a conversation topic as if I was actually serious. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i basically understood none of this.. but i read it all.. you write so well colin. You really bring meaning to your words and its so facinating.

    ReplyDelete